Equipment foundations

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Equipment foundations
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:37:43 -0600
from my short stint as a precision alignment engineer... here's my
suggestion...

first thing I'd do is take a brick and scrub the broom finish off the floor
to make it as smooth as possible and possible level it some...  it will
make the shimming job a little easier when you tighten it down.

set your posts over the anchor bolts (if they were set in the poured floor)
or over the drilled anchors if not.   Using a transit ( or an extremely
accurate long level) plumb the posts ... north/south and east/west.   Shim
packs of plate would be better but washers will work also.   You can even
double nut them (one above and one below the base plate) and crank the
lower nuts till you get it where you want it. then tighten the top nuts...
but I'd put in a shim support also.  Leaving your shim packs or washers in
place, form around the bases and mix a loose mix of grout mix...(Master
builder # 885 is good grout)  pour it into the form and allow to dry...
break out your forms and you're done...  I've seen others use washers with
enough cut from the side so it will slide in around the bolt... that will
work also...

After you plumb them and before the grout I'd check c/l  measurements top
and bottom to assure plumb...maybe even a diagonal also...

john

there is no limit to how bad things can get !