Re: table saw conversion

To: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: table saw conversion
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:08:22 -0700
At 03:25 PM 4/6/2004 -0700, john matthews wrote:

>I have a decent older craftsman tablesaw that I would like to convert for
>cutting mild steel tubing. Has anyone done this? can I just put a friction
>blade on it, or do I need to change the drive speed. Alternately does
>anyone out there have an extra cold saw they want to sell cheap?

My father used to bring home used abrasive discs from the structural steel shop
where he work and used them.  For safety's sake I'd pay close attention to the
arbor size and RPM.

I think I paid 90 bucks for a Makita chop saw.  I'd much rather move an
abrasive wheel into a stationary tube rather than push a tube into a wheel
on a table saw.  With a chop saw the tube is clamped down, with a table
saw you're holding on to hot metal.

You can make a table saw work, but it's not a real good idea, in my opinion

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA.