Lifting cars (Was: Gantry cranes....a follow-up)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Lifting cars (Was: Gantry cranes....a follow-up)
From: orphancars@direcway.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:47:04 -0500
Hello Listers!

I've been following the thread on this -- and it got me thinking:

I already have a cherry picker and an "I" beam in the
shop with a trolley/winch combo.  What I'd like for use in the
garage/clean shop is something like a kwiklift:

http://www.kwiklift.com/

It'd be perfect for those times where I need to get under the car,
and it'd be easier to drive up a set of ramps than fuss with a
jack and jackstands.

Wondering if anyone has built something similar or seen plans
to build?  Kwiklift wants $1000 ~ $1300, and I know my materials
cost would be significantly under that (steel, misc. bolts and
spray bombs).

Ideas, anyone?

-jeff d