RE: Carbide vs. HSS (black oxide?) rotary burrs?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carbide vs. HSS (black oxide?) rotary burrs?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:38:15 -0700
> If the carbide ones last longer, they'd
> be worth, but only
> if they lasted 4x as long.  Is there some rough guideline for
> life expectancy of these
> bits?  Certainly, 10 minutes was not what I had in mind; the bit
> was so dull at the
> end that it didn't even phase my work gloves...

Mike, I can't really answer your question, but I've got a set of cheap
carbide burrs (ISTR I paid under $30 for the set of 6 in a nice wood box,
either from Enco or HF) and they last a lot longer than 10 minutes.  Can't
say for sure how long they do last ... I've never worn one out.

Biggest problem I have is that they're so aggressive, they're hard to
control.

Randall