RE: winch for auto trailer - ?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: winch for auto trailer - ?
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:02:45 -0600
Be aware that most winches are 1/2 of what they are rated, as they are used
by the typical car trailer guy.  The advertised rating is generally when
used in a block and tackle configuration.  So, when your cable is attached
directly to the car the 5000lb winch is really only 2500lb winch.

I am using a 5000lb Warn winch to drag my MGB race car onto my trailer.  It
works fine.  A friend bought a 2000lb winch to do the same thing.  It blew
up.

Larry Hoy