Re: Blast cabinet dust collector

To: "Derek" <dereklola@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blast cabinet dust collector
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:40:11 -0400
> Why not just use your normal shop vac - that's all it seems
> to be except for the bottom nozzle - and that seems to be
> so near the ground as to be almost useless.  Make sure you
> use the paper sacs over your foam filter to catch the fine
> stuff.
> Derek

Agreed, use your shop vac, but I wouldn't hook your cabinet right to the
shop vac.  Home Depot sells a kit used for dustless drywall sanding
consisting of a 5 gallon bucket, a special top with an inlet and outlet and
a shop vac adaptor.  The bucket gets filled with water so that it just
covers the hose that hangs into the bucket on the inlet side.  The outlet is
connected right to your shop vac.

I have a 6HP / 20gal Shop Vac and while this product was useless for drywall
sanding it works great connected to my blast cabinet.  All of the dust from
the cabinet is caught in the water and none of it enters my shop vac.

If you go this route, empty the water in the bucket every week or so.  When
it gets dirty it smells horrible and all of the crap settles to the bottom
of the bucket and forms a very silty layer that is not fun to clean after it
builds up a lot.

If anyone is wondering why the dustless water collector didn't work for
drywall sanding, it is because my shop vac developed so much suction at the
drywall sanding pad that comes with the kit (connected to the bucket) that I
would be so tired after doing an 8ft seam that it was just slowing me down.
It felt like I was trying to move 200lbs up and down over the wall.

The price of the kit was $25.  You can build your own though, out of  a
couple bits of cheap vacuum hose and a used (clean) 5 gallon bucket and lid.
It would be worthwhile to make the trip to Home Depot to check out the
product picture if you're having trouble visualizing what I am describing.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics