OT: RV repair

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: RV repair
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:17:10 -0700
I've got a travel trailer that has a 40 gallon black water tank. The
tank is located directly below the toilet. Like many rv black water
tanks this one is not very deep, but is long and wide to make up the 40
gal capacity. When this unit was manufactured the pipe leading from the
toilet down into the tank was left too long where entered the tank. I.E.
the pipe is sticking down below the top of the tank. This causes the
pipe/tank to plug up as the waste does not have enough room to "spread
out" before it plugs between the bottom of the pipe and the bottom of
the tank. I realize for these things to function properly you need to
have plenty of liquid in them. Even with an over abundance of water in
the tank it still plugs up. I've never had this kind of problem on any
of the other rv's we have owned. The pipe is about 3in. dia. and is a
short, straight shot from the toilet into the tank.

So, I need to cut off the part of the pipe sticking below the top of the
tank. I'd really rather not pull the tank as it is insulated and the
bottom of the trailer is completely enclosed. The tank has a built-in
flushing mechanism, level sensors etc. Much better if I can do this from
the top side, through the inside of the pipe. Even if I pulled the tank
I still have the problem of getting the piece cut off down inside the
tank. BTW, the tank gets dumped, and flushed after each trip, and it is
really rather clean in there.

I see three issues here:
1. How do I tell how much is to be cut off?
2. How do I cut it off?
3. How do I extract the cut piece up through the hole?

Looking for some additional thoughts on this but here is what has come
to mind so far:

1. I can get a small telescoping inspection mirror down the hole for a
look "up" at the pipe bottom. The problem is the tank is all black and
it is difficult to see in there. I don't think I can get any of my
trouble lights down the pipe either. I may be able to open the outside
dump valve and get some sort of light source shined in that way.

As far as how much to cut off, I guess I'll just have make an estimate
and hope I don't cut too high and cut into the top of the tank or into
the pipe above the top of the tank.

2. Only thing I can think of is to take a small straight bodied die
grinder and find a cut off wheel that is slightly smaller then the id of
pipe. Hope I can insert the die grinder in the pipe, and swirl it around
enough to make a cut around the inside of the pipe. I have some straight
bodied disc cutters but the body is too large to fit down in the pipe.

3. Assuming I can do the die grinder trick, and assuming the cut off
part lands directly below the pipe (doesn't fly off to a corner of the
tank). I'm going to need to split that cut piece in two some how, in
order to get it up through the pipe.

Any additional thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

Wayne