Re: Propane vs electric

To: Mark and Susan Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Propane vs electric
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:34:32 -0700
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:54:19PM -0700, Mark and Susan Miller wrote:

> We're moving away from city gas service and need some advice regarding
> clothes drying.  Should we dump our dryer and get an electric one or convert
> this one from natural gas to propane?   We're going to have a propane tank
> for cooking and plumbing it to the dryer will be simple.
>
> I've always felt that gas dryers worked faster than electric ones.  Would
> this still hold using propane?  Which is cheaper: electric or propane?  And
> is it a big difference or minimal?

It depends on where you live and who your suppliers are.
Most areas of the country gas is probably cheaper, except in
the northwest.  If you're rural and will be having gas trucked in
then gas prices can vary between suppliers.  Electric and piped gas are
always monopolies so theres no shopping around.

I've used both and I can't tell the difference.  Gas vs electric range, yea,
but not on the clothes dryer.

One advantage to a gas dryer is that it frees up a big circuit that you
can use for your shop... did that in my last house.

Eric