Re: Steering Fluid in Brake System

To: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Fluid in Brake System
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:08:34 -0500
On May 18, 2004, at 5:17 PM, William Hook wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> Just got a call from a friend (really!!) who refilled her brake
> resevoir with steering fluid.   She said this happened about a month
> ago.. so the SF has been in for awhile.   Its a 2000 Dodge Caravan w/
> 3.3 ltr. engine.
>   Question 1   If she flushes the system well with a lot of new brake
> fluid then bleeds it off is it going to be ok?

Maybe.  Depends on how much she added.  I'd syphon or pump all the
fluid out of the resevoir before starting anything.  Then you can try
flushing the system.  A power bleeder, or better, brake fluid flusher,
is going to be needed, as you'll want to move several times the volume
of the system through it.

>  Question 2  Should she be concerned about Steering fluid attacking
> the rubber parts or seals of the brake system?

Oh, yeah.  Lots of top-off power steering fluids have "stop-leak"
additives in them.  They're designed to cause seals to swell, and the
leak to stop.  Swelling seals in a brake system

Your friend might want to talk to her insurance company.  Repairs might
be covered under her comprehensive policy.  If she's got to replace all
the rubber bits, it'll cost a bunch.  (~$500 for parts, 6 hours or so
labor, I'd think)