Re: hp -> Watts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hp -> Watts?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:05:49 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Mark and Susan Miller wrote:
> I wanted to mention what I did for a similar situation.  I bought a
> 12VDC battery backed up sump pump that mounts above the main pump.
> When power is on the main pump does the work.  When the power is out the
> level rises until the backup pump kicks in.  If the power is out for a
> long time you can use the generator to recharge the backup's battery.

I was wondering about something like this...  Even if the generator works
to run the pump (and I'm now considering just getting a 3k watt generator
that lives on the race trailer and can be used in emergencies for the
house), I've still got to be home to plug the sump pump into the
genenerator... As I work about 1 hour away from where I live, that's not a
great thing...

How long do the 12V backup systems run?  What sorta maintenance?  Costs?
Good/lousy brands/models?

Thanks!

Mark