Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: McPherson strut replacement - fill with oil?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:01:37 -0700
> Replacement units are Gabriel gas-filled.  But I just happened to peek at
> the short instruction sheet in the bottom of the box.  Pretty much the
> same instructions as above, except that there's a step that says
> something like "open up the strut and add 30cc of oil" , along with a
> drawing of a unit with the top off and a beaker of oil being poured in.
> Huh?

Are these struts (that is, complete units with spring seats and the like)
or are they strut cartridges (fat shock absorbers with big-diameter rods
that go inside the old strut body?)

What you describe is typical for the latter case.

You cut open the factory strut housing with a saw or pipe cutter, remove
and discard the guts, put a little oil back inside the strut housing to
provide heat transfer between the body of the new cartridge and the outer
shell of the old, slide in the new cartridge, then screw a big nut on the
top of the old housing to hold everything together.

John.