Re: Pinstripe removal

To: "Steven D. Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinstripe removal
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:45:09 -0500
I assume from your post that these are tape stripes.  Most adhesives that
old are pretty well set, and regular solvents like Goo Gone don't usually do
much.  I don't know whether the method I used on striping enamel will work
on tape, but it might be worth a cautious test.

We had painted names on the doors and a little minor striping on our '93
Suburban when we bought it a few years old, and I took it to a body shop for
a professional removal.  Jerry took one look at them and told me I could do
it as well as he could, but that I'd never believe the method.  He told me
to spray Easy-Off oven cleaner (yup - the lye stuff...) on and let it sit
3-5 minutes, then using my fingernails or a plastic scraper, gently remove
them.  I held my breath when I started, expecting to see the finish bubble
right off the truck, but it worked like a charm.  Absolutely didn't touch
the paint on the truck - just the striping enamel.

Karl