cleaning gunk off of stuff

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: cleaning gunk off of stuff
From: "Lee Daniels" <lee@automate-it.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:17:18 -0500
This topic has passed here before - but I can't remember the details.

I've got a Jaguar with a couple of long-term slow oil leaks (engine oil and
power steering oil) that have completely crudded up the bottom half of the
engine bay.  I'm ready to tackle some of this but I need to start by
cleaning. Something to spray on the gunk and let it soak would be nice - but
what's recommended?  I remember one reference to Kroil (Kano Labs) but this
seems to be mainly sold as a penetrating oil, and recommended for gun
barrels. What have you used that really works?

thanks,
 - Lee

"Do not ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you
come alive and go do that. Because what the world
needs is people who have come alive." --Gil Bailie