RE: using a tow dolly

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: using a tow dolly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:35:38 -0700
> I've got to take a car down state and leave it  for my daughter .  An S-10
> blazer to be towed by a Tahoe.  I plan on borrowing a tow dolly... backing
> the blazer up on the rig and towing with the rear wheels off the ground...

John, I've never tried it with a S-10 Blazer, but I did try it with a
Triumph Sports 6 a few years back.  It towed beautifully up to about 50 mph.
At 52 mph, the towed vehicle suddenly started swerving back and forth all
over the road ... if I had been in any kind of traffic we surely would have
been in an accident.  Yes, I had the steering tied down.  Fortunately I had
all of a two-lane highway (and the shoulder) to get it under control.

Disconnected the driveshaft and put it on front-way-round, finished a nearly
800 mile trip with no further trouble (but almost got a ticket for doing
70).

> I guess most states require towed vehicle lights hooked up like trailer
> lights right ???

As long as the dolly has lights that are visible directly to the rear, the
towed vehicle does not require lights.  If you want, U-Haul will rent you a
light bar that can be clamped on top.

> Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession...
> I've come to realize that it  bears a very close resemblance to the first

Indeed it does !

Randall
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly
native American criminal class except Congress."  -  Mark Twain