Re: complicated modern cars

To: "FRED E THOMAS" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: complicated modern cars
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:51:14 -0500
Getting hydraulic brakes in 1939 cost Ford the rights to his soybean-based
synthetic enamel to quickly get hydraulic brakes once he was finally
convinced they were essential.  He traded with another automaker (geez - I
can't remember now... I think Chrysler? - GM stayed with lacquer into the
90's).

Ford had developed alkyd enamel - the same material subsequently used by
many automakers for decades thereafter - as part of his huge soybean
research projects.  He made various plastic parts of Ford cars from
soy-based plastics as well as his revolutionary synthetic enamel.  Alkyd
dried faster and tougher than the previous (mostly) linseed-based enamels.
In fact, alkyd enamel is still used for some industrial painting, and is
still available as house and trim paint outside the Republik of Kalifornia.

Karl

>  > I forget, did the Model A have hydraulic brakes ?
>  >
>  > Seems to me the Model T had to be simpler, but I could be wrong ...
>
> Ford did mechanical brakes well into the '30s, IIRC.
> John.
1939 was the last year of mechanical brakes by Ford.  "FT"