Re: dumb electricity question

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dumb electricity question
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:14:19 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 2:11 PM
Subject: dumb electricity question

> #1, whats up with installing new breakers?  I've not had to do that
> before... Do they just snap/screw in?  Presumably the panel should be off
> prior to this?

One edge of the breaker hooks onto a ledge inside the box, the other end
then snaps onto the 'hot' feed bar. 110V breakers attach to one feed, 220V
attach to both (thus they are wider - take up two slots in your panel).

Warning: unless you have an external main shut off, turning off the main
breaker only switches off the power to the hot feed bars. The big wires
entering the box are still 'live'.

> Any other "rules of thumb" or things to pay attention to when re-wiring
> the shop?  There are no interior walls/ceilings/insulation right now, so I
> can pretty much get wire wherever I need too...

I like my lights to be on their own circuit. Then, if you trip a breaker
while using a power tool, you are not standing in the dark waiting for the
tool to stop spinning.

> Oh!  What's the best cost solution on surface mount or hanging overhead
> lights?  Cheaper is better.  Flickering lights kinda stink.  8' bulbs are
> ok, but so are 4' bulbs.  More light is way better than less light.

I put duplex outlets in the ceiling and hung 'plug-in' 4 foot florescent
fixtures from hooks screwed into the joists. I also spent a bit more money
for cold weather fixtures. Regular (i.e. the cheapies) may not work in temps
below about 30F. IIRC, the bulbs are the same and 4 footers are usually
cheaper when it come time to replace burnt out bulbs.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961