Re: quick generator help?

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: quick generator help?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:09:19 -0400
At 09:48 PM 9/2/2004 -0400, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

10k will deliver about 83 Amps.  I've been told by an expert that should be
plenty for my  house.   I have a 200 Amp panel, but you never use the full
capacity of the panel, many older homes have 100 Amp panels and I they
don't use any less electricity.  So it should be enough,  Check your main
panel.  8k is  67 Amps still very respectable though you might not be able
to run everything at once.

I don't care about running everything at once - I just want to be able to
start the a/c.  we can rotate everything else around that.

>I would image most of the ratings are accurate, but I would be more
>concerned with torque of the engine and its ability to run long.  If the
>reports of Francis is accurate, it is a monster and will wreck the grid
>that is already damaged from Charlie.  You may be without power for weeks,
>depending on where you are in Fla.

we're far enough inland that I think 3-4 would be the max.  any longer than
that and I'll suffer without the a/c.  this is more to keep the wife and
son comfortable.

>Not a clue, but every electrical device must be labeled with amperage.
>You should add up the labels or just go to the panel and add up the major
>circuit breaker.

just looked on the breaker.  double-wide breaker with "50" on it.  so
that's 50 * 240 for 12,000?  which means the surge == the a/c start
load.  sounds to me like it'd trip.  I'm tempted to go for it anyway,
because the alternative is worse.

scott