Re: Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:15:09 -0400
PJ McGarvey wrote:

> After having visited the new local Harbor Freight store to purchase
> the framing nailer I used this past weekend, I saw they had wet saws
> for $50 and $70 (including blade).  Since it'll cost that for a
> day-long rental, I'm thinking of picking one up for a small tile job
> (fireplace hearth) in the next month or two.  I know I'll use it again
> for the kitchen backsplash, so it should be a good investment.  I also
> see a bunch on Ebay for $25 + $33 shipping, but can't tell the brand.
> I think I'll ask the seller about that.  Any experiences?

I bought a Plastiplugs wet saw to do a kitchen counter/backsplash
project.  At the time it was $100.  Its basically a little table saw
where the blade dips into a reservoir underneath the table.  I cut
tumble marble and granite with it.  Worked well.  The back splash was 4"
tumbled marble tiles and did not require a lot of cuts.  But even if it
did, the marble was soft, a hacksaw would have worked.  The countertops
(plural) were 12" floor granite floor tiles and required lots of
cutting.  I even ripped strips to band the counters.  It was slow going
ripping the granite but it worked.

PJ Thomas