Re: Oil change interval for synthetic oil

To: "Bill Engle, Sr." <whesr@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: Oil change interval for synthetic oil
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:14:37 -0400
Bill Engle, Sr. wrote:
> The oil will probably last 15,000 miles, but there is no way that the
> oil filter will last that long.  7,500 should be the longest interval.
> Bill

   ...and why not?

   In a modern clean-burning engine, that has always used modern oils,
there just isn't a whole lot of "stuff" floating around to filter...

   The people who wrote the manual know the product inside out, have run
thousands of models, simulations, tests, research, analysis, etc. etc.

   Especially in this case where they are stating a service interval
that is actually _longer_ than conventional, why would you want to do
anything else?

   I guess it's a pet peeve of mine though... I often see people who
just don't understand the depth of knowledge that people who design
stuff for a living have about the products they create. I'm not sure
whether they think "they know better", or probably more likely, assume
"nobody really knows, better be safe".

   The truth is, people know, that's their job. If they are saying
15,000 miles, they have reasons. Maybe if they were saying 1,000 miles
you could say they were being pessimistic and cheat a bit, but...

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca