handheld tachometer

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: handheld tachometer
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:26:27 -0700
   I am looking for a dwell/voltage/tachometer to play with my cars
with.  I have one that I purchased 20+ years ago that gives me no results
on RPM so assuming it was broken I went to SEARS and purchased a new one,
that one gives very erratic results on the tach range.  A friend said that
I need a induction tach where all you do is plug in power and put the lead
wire on the #3 plug wire (yes, #3 on this car) rather than use the coil
outputs, his SEARS unit works fine on my car but he has old 5 year old unit
that uses induction for picking up RPM.

  He claims I need this because of the dual coil and dual distributor
setup, I assumed I could just use one coil output and double whatever the
tach said, but its not working.

  I can't find one of those, SEARS only carries the one I purchased and
people in the club just say, take the car to the dealer.  Can't believe I
was even told to take it in to the dealer for a oil change...its a Red car
and its Italian.

  A search on the web brings up thousands of hits for tachs and I am still
looking through the output and trying to refine the search.  SEARS,
JcWitney, Harbor Freight, NAPA, AutoZone and Pep Boys have failed me so far.

        mike