Re: underground house electrical supply?

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: underground house electrical supply?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:32:05 -0400
At 08:55 AM 9/25/2004 -0400, John T. Blair wrote:

>The problem I see, is that you will only be replacing the wire from the pole
>to your house.  How much do you think that will cost?  When you've lost
>power, was it because a tree took down the wire that feeds your house?
>Most of the areas with above ground service that lost power was not because
>of the line between the pole and the houses, but between poles.  So unless
>you co. burries all their lines, I don't see it helping much.

no, at no point did was the problem from the street to my house.  it was
down the street at the intersection of two service lines.  but I never want
my house to be the problem because they take long enough when it's several
dozen houses on a circuit that are out.  if it was just my house that was
out, I'd be afraid we'd never get power restored.  they don't really have a
sense of urgency when it comes to getting the power back on.

>I think I would take the money you plan on spending for the wiring and put
>it towards an emergency generator.  I've always wanted a 5KW generator, but
>I can always find someplace else to spend my money.  My dad on the other hand
>just purchased a 10KW generator from Northern Hydrolics for about $2K.

I'm getting one of those too.  the guy that I thought was going to sell me
a generator sold them to someone else between the time I left him to go to
the a.t.m. and the time I got back to his house, but at leaset he was good
enough to give me back the $200 I gave him for a deposit.

I guess the bottom line is after going through this I'm taking the belt,
suspenders, and staple-the-pants-to-your-waist approach.

scott