RE: New Idea for flooring

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: New Idea for flooring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:08:34 -0700
> First, is this viable?

Might be, but as someone already said, you sure don't want to be welding
over it.

> Second, how could I chip them up?  (I was thinking a large wood chipper.)

I'd be surprised if a wood chipper would do it ... although I've never tried
a chipper I have tried other things that cut wood very well, without finding
anything that cuts tires well.  Those things are tough !

> Third, how can I heat and pour the substance?

I don't think you can melt them with heat, without also burning the rubber.
Might be able to melt them with a suitable solvent, though.  Or as some have
already mentioned, use some sort of binder to hold the chips together.

My soaker hose appears to be made from old tires, ground fairly fine and
bound together some way (perhaps heat and pressure combined).  They're
pretty fragile though, and tear easily.

> (Since I can get paid to take used tires.)

Don't mean to sound a discouraging word, but there have been a lot of folks
working for quite some time on finding uses for old tires, just as a means
of getting rid of the tires.  Not a whole lot of success.

Randall