Re: Seasonal Cottage Plumbing

To: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Seasonal Cottage Plumbing
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:01:43 -0600
From: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>
> Jim, I can't answer you question, other than to say I've had outdoor
plastic
> pipes freeze in pretty spectacular ways. My father-in-law had a little
hand
> pump he used to blow out the lines at his cottage for the winter. When I
put
> in an outside line at my cottage (MI), I installed a Schreider (Tire)
valve.
> I have a small, portable air tank I use to blow out the lines for winter.
> Sure beats my father-in-laws hand pump and only takes a couple of minutes.
> If you could find a strategic spot to blow out the lines, you could do it
> fairly quickly.

Thanks for reminding me.  I need to drag my wife's garden-hose reel out of
my shop where I put it when the cold set in.  I need to blow it with
compressed air and leave it outside for the winter.  Can't have any more
non-car stuff sucking up shop space, can we?

> > From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
> > Ultimately, I plan to replace the entire system to
> > permit easy draining so that I can use it on a winter
> > weekend simply by charging it up and releasing it when I
> > leave....
> > So, I know that careful attention
> > to the pitch will help considerably.

I would suggest copper for water, and use quite a bit of pitch to the drain
points.  For a weekend winter deal, I would want to make the whole procedure
as convenient as possible.

For your present situation, have you considered RV antifreeze like they use
for trailers and campers?

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.