Re: fire rated drywall?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: fire rated drywall?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:04:03 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, John Gates wrote:
> Walls, clgs, floors, doors, etc are rated as an assembly.  A one hour wall
> has fire rated 5/8 GWB on each side of 2 x 4 studs on 16 inch centers up to
> so and so feet high, structurally attached at top and bottom, specific
> fastener spacing, blah blah.  Putting up fire rated GWB doesn't make a rated
> wall or clg.  Normally, a garage is separated from a residence by some sort
> of fire rating, depending on your local code.  Other areas not now covered
> with rated GWB probably don't need to be rated.

In my case, I'm re-doing an attached garage on a house that was built in
1955.  I've stripped the walls and the ceiling was already open.  There
was nothing firerated on any wall, including the shared wall with the
house.

The plan is to insulate, wire, and sheetrock the walls/ceiling.  I was
going to use fire-rated sheet rock for the walls/ceiling as a "good idea"
type of thing...

I don't have a permit, don't know if one is required, and have no
intention of getting one even if it is.

So, all that said, would I be smart to use 5/8" fire rated sheetrock or
should I just use normal sheetrock?  Cost matters to me, and I don't
partiuclarly want to have to manuver 5/8" sheetrock for a ceiling.  All
that said, if fire rated sheetrock is likely to help in the event of a
garage fire...

Thanks!

Mark