RE: cutting off a plug...

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: cutting off a plug...
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:26:49 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> which brings up my next post: what do I do with the third wire since the
> light is two-wire?  just ground it at the box?

Which 3rd wire?

For normal 12/2 or 14/2 romex style cable, the '3rd wire' is the bare
ground wire.  If you have a metal outlet box, then yes, I'd ground it at
the outlet box.  For a plastic box, don't bother.  If the light housing is
metal and you want to be anal, you could ground it to the metal housing as
well.  If your 3rd wire has insulation (and you didn't install it), stop
and figure out what's going on before you do much of anything else.  Often
times a 3 wire (12/3 for instance) run is used for 3 way switches or to
provide both a switch circut and an always on circuit that runs through a
single switch box.

btw, I think I'd probably put in a switched outlet box, if my cursory
following along of what you're doing is accurate... Which is probably
unlikely.  :-)

Mark

(not an electrician, but I haven't burned the house down yet either.)