Re: welders MIG vs. TIG

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: welders MIG vs. TIG
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:08:14 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Mike Rambour wrote:
>    I do have a fairly large restoration project coming up this spring
> which will require lots of rusty panel replacement on a car, my MIG can
> do it but maybe TIG is better.  I do know TIG is slower (feet/per
> minute) but that does not matter to me.

I think you answered your own question right there.  A MIG is faster and
probably easier for processes that its good at (and sheet metal is one of
those processes).  But it doesn't give you the control a TIG does.

I have a MIG and while it doesn't happen all the time, there are times
when I'd really like to be able to weld stuff without adding filler metal
for some reason.  You can't do that with a MIG.  I'd also really like to
weld AL, and you can't do that with a MIG like mine (though apparently
spool guns work) either.

But, it sure is nice for most stuff to pull the trigger and weld until
you're done.

I don'y know why you'd be having a problem with sheet metal... I'm able to
weld up to 18 guage or so without any real issues here and I'm no pro by
any stretch.  Biggest thing I needed to learn was to watch the puddle and
when things started getting too hot/fluid to let off the trigger and let
stuff cool for a moment, then keep welding.  Kinda a manual stitch timing
type of thing.

I was also reading in a GMAW text book my dad had that one of the
corrective actions for burning through was to turn up your voltage (at
least, I think it was voltage... mighta been wire speed/amps).  Either
way, it took me by surprise because its was counter intuitive to me.

Anyway, back to your question... I think as long as you can access stuff
reasonably well and don't have time issues, TIG is perfectly fine, gives
you more capabilities, and you won't need your MIG.  But, if you want to
weld faster or are trying to weld around stuff into corners or whatever, a
MIG might actually be better.

My completely unprofessional opinion...

Mark