Re: looking also for a (ahem, wood) router

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: looking also for a (ahem, wood) router
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:59:02 -0500
> so I need a router.  probably a table too, I guess.

I use my routers a lot for woodworking projects. I didn't read the review
article you referenced but, IME, one aspect that rarely gets much mention is
the ease of height adjustment and 'repeatability' of that adjustment.

I like to make most cuts with the router in 2 or 3 passes. One medium cut to
remove part of the waste, another cut to get close to the finished size and
then a  fine cut to finish. Being able to adjust the height of the bit
quickly, easily and get back to the same final position repeatedly means I
can secure the workpiece once, make all the passes I want then move onto the
next workpiece.

I have an old Craftsman router that has a rack & pinion system for height
adjustment. It is my favorite router for this operation but it is no longer
made. I don't know why. Also a scale that is amazingly accurate - to at
least 1/64" (hey, we're talking woodwoking here - not making Rolex
watches...). Spend a minute setting it up for the final cut, zero the scale
and then move the bit up to make the first cut, move it again to make the
second cuts & final cuts very easily. Plunge routers would seem to make this
'repeatabilty' possible also.

I also have a router that I mount upside down in a table. I added a crank
set up to raise/lower the bit from above. Since then, I have seen
advertisments for routers that include this feature 'from the factory'. If
you are going to mount a router in a table (and I suggest you seriously
consider doing so), look for this feature.

Many useful bits come 1/2" shank so keep that in mind. You can use 1/4" &
1/2" shank bits in a 1/2" router (it'll include an adapter for the 1/4"
bits) but you cannot use 1/2" bits in a 1/4" router.

I've seen the ads for dovetail jigs. I'm sure they work as advertised but,
IMO machine cut dovetails are over-rated. Especially if we're talking about
drawers. Most of the 'draw' for dovetail drawers are its touted superiority
& strength. I've been making dovetail-less drawers for > 30 years and not
had a problem with drawers falling apart. (uh oh, what was that noise I just
heard in the kitchen...?)

> is it possible to buy one router or do I resign myself to buying two...

Why would one 'resign' themselves to buying *more* tools?!?! It's an
opportunity knocking! Go answer the door!

Do you also have a biscuit joiner? It is probably the one tool that has
taken the place of many router operations. Instead of dados & rabbets and
mortise & tenons I can use the biscuit joiner to make strong joints faster
and a lot easier. See - *more* tools!

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961