RE: Wireless Internet Networks

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Wireless Internet Networks
From: "Bob Kegel" <bobkegel@seanet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:56:02 -0800
> Is my thinking in the right direction?  Any suggestions for exactly
> what antennas I'm in need of?  It looks like my new Belkin
> Wireless Router does not have removable antennas.......so I'll
> probably have to switch out the unit for another router.....any
> suggestions here?

I'm not savvy enough to recommend any particular transmitter, but
directional antennas seem easy to build.
 See http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

A friend who tinkers with this stuff says he can use his home wireless
network within a 300 yard radius. He has commented on how many home and
business networks are wide open, allowing anyone with a WiFi card to
enter them, so pay attention to the chapter on security.

Bob Kegel
Aberdeen, WA