RE: Questions re: landscape curbing

To: "'Steve Hammatt'" <GSteve@hammatt.com>,
Subject: RE: Questions re: landscape curbing
From: "Jeff Cocking" <jeff@cocking.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:32:40 -0500
-----Original Message-----
Steve Asked:

>Anyone familiar with the rammed continuous concrete
>edging>  Cost?  How about long lengths of steel, about
>3-4" wide and retained by large spikes?

I am about 2 weeks from having it installed in my front landscape.  The cost
is pretty reasonable.  In the North Texas area, the installers are quoting
$4.50 to $5.25 a linear foot.  The difference depends on the colors to be
added.  Some of the color approaches requires extra work, to create some of
the granite tones.

There are several profiles you can use.  The most common is the mower
profile.  It is built to run the mower on the lower side of the curb.  I
decide to go with the regular curb, so I can run an edger on it.  This will
allow me a clean edge between the curb and the grass.

The installer did tell me, that it is stained concrete, so to maintain the
color I will need to seal the concrete.

If it last longer than 3 years it is cheaper than the plastic and steel
edging.

jeff