RE: Stainless Steel Bolts vs Zinc plated bolts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel Bolts vs Zinc plated bolts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:44:35 -0700
> Are you sure those are Grade 5 stainless bolts? Is there such a thing?

I suspect the problem is that you can call anything "Grade 5" (I had a Grade
5 kid for a year) ... unless you specify what standard rates it.  Normally,
when we talk about "Grade 5" fasteners, we're referring to "SAE Grade 5",
which is defined by SAE standard J429.  And I believe it requires Grade 5
fasteners to be made of "medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered", which
means stainless steel would not qualify.  (Somewhere, not handy, I've even
got a list of the allowable alloys.)

> But since stainless is a pretty different critter, I would be surprised
> if you actually have a Grade 5 stainless bolt in your hand.

Maybe they were made by Ms Howard's Grade 5 class ?

Randall