Re: Gravel/Dirt driveways

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>, Mark Andy
Subject: Re: Gravel/Dirt driveways
From: kennedybc@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:19:17 +0000
We live in MI with a long, hilly, circular driveway that probaly started with
road gravel. The guy that did ours used limestone. He put big rocks in the
muddier holes (we did this in the spring when it was easy to see the problems)
maybe 6-10" and smaller rocks in the smaller holes. He finished with the
powder/stone mix. I've forgotten what they call it, 24 something?. I think it's
1" or less stones. We've added the mix over the years until I finally wised up
and crowned it to allow the water to run  off and since then it's been pretty
good. MI has started using limestone on the dirt roads. It a terrific
improvement in smooth surface in general. I later added some parking space that
needed to be raised a bit. I started with 6-10" (I think) stones and then
covered it with the mix. It's good as new after 10 years or so. So it seems,
that putting the bigger limestone rock underneath seems to help a lot.
Brian