More gravel driveway questions

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: More gravel driveway questions
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:00:47 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, talked to a guy at a local gravel/sand/limestone/slag supplier.

He recommended 4"-6" of "1 to 2's" (or "102's" or "1/2's"?) which are
apparently 3-3.5" or so sized rocks.  Cost per ton was $12.95, and he said
you'd get around 1.7 tons per cubic yard.

Over the top of that, he recommended 304's (3 or 4's?) that ranged from 2"
in size to dust.  Those were $11.95/ton and you get 2 ton per cubic yard.

He also said something about slag as a surface instead of the 304's, which
might be more suitable for later paving with blacktop, but it didn't make
a whole lotta sense to me.  Slag cost was $12.95/ton.

So is all this making sense?  I'm gonna stop by their place tomorrow or
the next day to check it out in person and see the material they're
talking about (also easier to soak up some knowledge in person).

They didn't sell Mirafi fabric, but the guy thought it was probably a good
idea...

Looking at costs...  If I have 7000 square feet at a depth of 6" and at a
cost of $12.95/ton, with 1.7 tons per cubic yard, I get $8561, and that's
for just the first layer...  Holy crap!

I've _got_ to be doing something wrong here, right?

Mark