RE: boiling gas tanks

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: boiling gas tanks
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:14:33 -0700
> anything I can do at home, to achieve this?

I have found that filling them with water and letting it overflow for awhile (so
anything that floats to the top is carried away), followed by drying in the sun,
will remove all trace of fuel smell.  Might take a couple of tries, but I did it
in one try.

If that doesn't work, I'd probably try heating it with an air gun or even
propane torch, to drive off any residual trapped in the rust, etc.  After doing
the above once, there sure won't be enough to burn.

Randall