Re: cat 5e vs. cat 6?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cat 5e vs. cat 6?
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:16:49 -0400
think of it this way - it has more headroom.  10/100 MB speeds won't
tax the cable but when you got Gigabit in a couple years, cat5 won't
carry it, 5e _might_, 6 will.  If the cables are going to be out in
the open and easily replaced and you don't want to spend the money,
get the 5e.  if you're going through walls/attics/etc...., et the 6.

as for the blocks, that's most likely the A/B issue, which is
independent of the cat# and depends on the patch blocks.  cat6 is a
spec for the cable's construction and capabilities, nothing to do
with the blocks really.  although the blocks and patch cables are the
weak points in virtually all wiring installs.

At 07-20-2005 at 20:36, Shakespearean monkeys danced on
scott.hall@comcast.net's keyboard and said:

>so in response to my earlier question, someone said run cat 6
>instead of cat 5e when I pull wire.
>
>I figure I'm not too far in and that might be a good idea.  I
>google, and it says cat 6 is just cat 5e made to a higher standard,
>on site said it had better shielding.  the kid at comp usa (who
>seemed very knowledgeable) repeated the thing about the better
>shielding (but that's it).   said it used rj45 jacks and the same as
>cat 5e termination blocks.
>
>but the older gentleman at his electronics shop (who you'd think
>would know) said cat6 actually carries data faster than 5e and uses
>all different blocks.
>
>now, this is contradicted by everything else, but I've started to
>trust curmedgeonly old people, and why else would I want cat 6 if
>it's only better/more stringently made and/or better
>shielded?  actually I get the shielding, but it's a house in the
>woods, not an office building.
>
>I've been here:
>
>http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp#Chart
>
>and here:
>
>http://www.generalcable.com/North_America/NA_Assets/TechPapers/LookCat6.pdf
>
>and it seems the kid's closer to right.  to top it all off, the cat
>5e the old guy had had 320 mhz on the box, which the guy said was
>good, and seems to be higher than what cat 5e is rated for.
>
>so what's the real truth?

Cheers!