Re: Automatic rotary levels?

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic rotary levels?
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:45:06 +0100
At 21:02 24/07/05 -0700, David C wrote:

>I have to do quite a bit of dirt work, landscaping and leveling around my
>property over the next couple of years, and I have always wanted an
>automatic rotary level.  I used one at work for a big leveling project and
>it was really slick, one person operation.  The local rental yard wants
>$70/day to rent one, and I figured I would break even pretty quick if I
>got one of these:
>http://www.southern-tool.com/store/cst_berger_lm30_rotary_laser_level.html
>
>Any feedback or other ideas?

You're certainly getting quite a bit for your money in laser terms with
that offer. For domestic use it's worth a try. My concern would be that
that instrument is fine if you were just doing building work where you are
working to a level plane. For muckshifting and landscaping you are usually
working to falls and you need a (dual) grade laser or you're going to spend
a lot of time calculating interpolations or reverting to boning rods.

The same firm offer such an instrument:

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/lmh600_rotary_level.html

More expensive but much more versatile and more accurate.

If you want more help spending your money let me know, I use these things
on a daily basis. There are some really trick setups on the market now.
Sadly none of them are cheap...

Nick Brearley