Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:27:56 -0400
   I have a 44" 16hp Craftsman lawn tractor. Older but not antique.

   I've had to fix it up a bit since I acquired it, but it seems ok,
now, I've used it all of this year so far, just mowing.

   This is a belt drive tractor, the gearbox only has one speed and the
speeds are changed by belt geometry.

   Anybody know these systems?

   Lately, it doesn't seem to want to go fast. No matter what the speed
lever is set to it seems to be "1 or 2" speed, when it goes up to seven.

   However, if I put my toe under the brake lever on the left foot, and
pull it back while riding, it will accelerate to regular speed.

   The spring tension on that pedal feels normal, would this sound like
"time for new belts"?

   I have already pulled off the belts so putting new ones on is no more
work than just putting it back together, but the belts didn't seem too
bad... I was somewhat hoping they'd be rattier to explain the problem...

   Thanks.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca