Fwd: Re: 230V to 115V

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: 230V to 115V
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
"Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com> wrote:Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:30:39
-0700 (PDT)
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 230V to 115V
To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Chas. Schlismann wrote:
> I need to a way to run my inverter tig welder on 115V. It is a Lincoln
> Invertec V205 and it has run flawlessly on the shop's 230V. Lincoln
> says it will run on 115V via its "auto-reconnect" feature. Anybody know
> how I can adapt the 230V/ 50 amp plug on the welder to 115V? I'm
> guessing that I can simply wire 115V to a 50A receptacle but don't know
> how to go about it. Neither of my local Lincoln distributors can help.
> No response from Lincoln's web site. This is a small, light machine I
> want to take to the track.

I've got a lincoln ProCut-25 plasma that does the same thing. It can be
attached to either 220 or 110, and the thing figures it out and does the
right deal.

What I'd do in your situation is make an adapter that adapts the
(probabaly) 220vac power plug on your welder (see
http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm, you probably have a
NEMA 6-50P) to a regular 110vac plug (looks like a 5-15 or 5-20 or
whatever, depending on what kinda 110vac you're gonna have available. If
your track generator can produce more amps, you'll want a connector that
can deal with that).

On mine, the ground is wired to ground in both cases and the two legs are
either to line/neutral (110vac case) or line-1/line-2 (220vac case). Just
make your adapter do the right thing.

And then put that adapter somewhere where nobody else will use it to do
something dumb. :-)

Mark

Thanks Mark and others,

I use Levitron 6-50R reeptacles to make extension cords for my welders.

I was hoping to use the same to convert to 110.  I'm guessing ground to ground,

neutral to large blade and small blade to hot.  I'm not certain if that is
correct and

the receptacle is not color coded.  Think that I'm guessing correctly?  Does it
even matter if I'v mixed up the hot and neutral on the receptacle?

TIA, Charlie