Re: laser levels

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: laser levels
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:25:08 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, E. John Puckett wrote:
> or get a long piece  clear plastic tubing and suspend it from a known point.
> fill it with water and walk around the area you want to level maeking the
> level points by the level of the water in the tube.  Not near as fancy as a
> laser level, but a lot less expensive and has been a dependable method for
> many years.

I was wondering about this...

Is the proper use of a water level described anywhere?

I'm wondering how this works on sloping ground.  Like, if you're doing a
pole barn and the ground slopes 8" down over 24'.  Seems like if you fix
an end to a high side pole then walk around with the other end, when you
are marking poles also on the high side the water will be higher than if
you're marking poles on the low side.

Obviously the water will be level between two points, but wouldn't there
need to be a correction made if you're doing it all between multiple
points, since the bulk of the water in the tube may be higher or lower,
depending on where most of the tube is on the slope?

The laser levels are certainly expensive, but I've got a fair amount of
stuff to do where I'll want one.  At $50/day, I can pay for the laser unit
itself pretty quickly, and I'm also an amateur photography buff, so a
tripod that can do double duty is a little more justifyable...  :-)

Mark