RE: Fall protection

To: "'Peter Murray'" <pete@partnercomm.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fall protection
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:29:58 -0400
>>Snip <
>>That said, climbing equipment isn't hard to use, but it is certainly easy
>>use _incorrectly_.  Do be careful if you go that route and get instruction
>>if possible.  I've used climbing gear for things like that on occasion,
but
>>I also rock climb and already have / know how to safely use the equipment.
>>
>>-Aric.
>>

>All he says is true. Though he left out the part about purposely jumping
>off the roof. Multiple times.
>
>What is the tally on skull fractures at this point, Aric?
>
>-Peter

More than I care to count....  :-)

And I also neglected to mention that my Reverso (larger version of the
Reversino) currenltly resides at the bottom of Lake George in the
Adirondacks after slipping from my grasp on Saturday and falling 400 feet
into the lake.  Oops.  Note to self- dropping your belay / rappel device
halfway up the cliff is a _bad_ idea.  Fortunately I had a spare with me.

One clarification on my original post.  The Reversino can be set in an
autoblocking mode when attached to the harness but only for climbing a rope.
Using this to catch a fall would be ill-advised as a twisting motion or
headfirst fall could cause it to not autoblock.  There's also no provision
for lowering yourself with this setup.  Its setup #7 on this page:
http://www.petzl.com/ProduitsServices/PS_458_1.pdf

-aric.