gasket material?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: gasket material?
From: "Steve Hammatt" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:21:12 -0700
I'm about to make a timing gear cover gasket
for a 1914 automobile.  The last person into the
engine used black gasket maker out of a tube and
while it didn't leak, it also didn't provide any "crush"
thickness between the cover and the front of the block.
This lack of any cushion thickness resulted in one of
the timing gears just "kissing" the inside of the thin
aluminum cover (which is around 10" x 17" in size)
and it help to create some interesting sounds!

Anyway, what I'm looking for is some suggestions
based on experience, for choice of gasket material.
I've got the hole punches and am thinking of either
buying some bulk 1/8" thick cork or some type of
thick paper/composite gasket material and, in either
case, simply cutting one to size and shape.  The plan
is that the extra thickness will keep the cover from being
wrongly employed as a camshaft thrust bearing<grin>.

Any thoughts on using the cork vs. paper?

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA