Re: gasket material? (Thanks to everyone)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gasket material? (Thanks to everyone)
From: "Steve Hammatt" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:13:21 -0700
Thanks to David and lots of others for their suggestions.
Picked up a 12" x 36" sheet of 1/8" composite cork gasket
material yesterday at the local NAPA store. It's tough stuff
and I'm sure will work fine.  I'm especially pleased that it will
provide the extra clearance I need to keep the gears from
kissing the inside of the aluminum timing case cover.  BTW,
the reason for the cover being off is that the only lubrication for
the four timing gears is by some oily mist supposedly thrown up
through a small opening in the front of the engine block.  They
tend to be a bit noisy.  I'm bringing over a small oil line from the
oil pump and have installed a super looking brass adjustable drip
oiler with sight glass to feed a few drops/minute of oil on top of
the gear set.  This reportedly goes a long way to reduce the gear
noise.
Steve Hammatt
1914 Overland 79T
Mount Vernon WA USA