Harbor Freight Bandsaw

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Harbor Freight Bandsaw
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:24:37 -0400
Shop-talkers:

A while back there was a thread on the economically- priced ($169.00)  bandsaw
that Harbor Freight sells.  The concensus was that it was ok as a basic cutter,
but not extremely accurate and not intended for heavy duty use.  I think this
model will probably suit me, and I intend to buy one this weekend.

 Most listers said to toss the Harbor Freight blade immediately and get a name
brand one.  I've been looking at the MSC Industrial Supply Company website, and
they list several blades in the 5' 4 =" X =" X .025"  size the Harbor Freight
bandsaw takes.  I was looking at the Starrett brand, and they have a wide price
range from $13.00 to $29.00 each.

Can anyone help with the difference in quality between the different prices;
also what would be a general use blade for cutting steel--how many teeth per
inch?

Never had a bandsaw before.  Thanks for any help,

Gene