Re: Vent Pipe

To: BOB Nogueira <nogera@worldnet.att.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vent Pipe
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:11:13 -0700
>    Anyone know what the maximum distance a vent pipe can be from a toilet?
> Also is there a disadvantage to having it at the maximum distance?

Maximum distance...you're talking about the vent stack?  Are you talking
about maximum VERTICAL distance or maximum HORIZONTAL distance or total
distance?

Okay, it goes like this if I remember correctly:

I don't believe there's any limit on the vertical run.

The UPC has a spec on number/types of fixtures that can be handled by
each trade pipe size.  Typically the minimum pipe size for a vent stack
is 1.25in for a sink (but no one uses it) and 1.5in for anything else.
You can combine multiple fixtures onto a single vent stack, as long as
it's big enough, per the chart in the UPC.

If you use the minimum required pipe size for your vent stack (per the
UPC chart for fixture loading) you've got a limited distance you can
offset the pipe horizontally - 1/2 or 1/3 the vertical run (can't recall
which.)

If you upsize the vent to the NEXT trade pipe size, that is from 1.5in
(for a single toilet) to 2in, you can run the pipe horizontally as far
as you want.  You still want to maintain SOME slope so that rainwater
etc. will drain down the stack, but you can go a long way.

There are other issues if you're where the vent can get snowed on, but I
don't know anything about that here.

You also have to keep the vent stack a certain distance (check the code,
it's only been two years but I've already forgotten...)
laterally/vertically from any opening into the house.

When we did our remodel the plan called for three opening and six fixed
skylights, but I was ordering the crap as we were boarding a plane to
Australia and...someone screwed up and the vendor gave us a great price
so we've got nine opening skylights.

When it came time to plumb the vent stacks this proved to be a cast iron
(well, ABS) bitch because between the chunk of roof eaten by the solar
panels and having to keep the vent stacks away from the skylights,
kitchen range-hood exhausts, roof vents, etc.  So I ended up collecting
the vent stacks for everything on the south side of the house (kitchen
sinks, laundry, half-bath, shop sink, etc.) into a 30-foot-long
"manifold" of 3" ABS, and collecting everything on the north side of the
house (the other bathrooms) into another one, and each goes out their
respective face of the roof near the east end of the house.

John.