Re: Body work suggestions (3)

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Body work suggestions (3)
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:33:25 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 08:20 PM 11/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:36 PM 11/1/2005 +0000, David Mayer wrote:
>
>Why not try spraying the primer yourself?  But, do you have a compressor?
>If so how big.  I have a Craftsman 5hp (220V) 30 gal tank oil lubed, and
>it has to work to keep up with my air tools.  Do you have a spray gun.
>If not, I'd recommend the Harbor Freight gravity HVLP gun, regularily about
>$100, but quite often on sale for about $50.

Hello,

Do you know the CFM rating of your compressor?  I am thinking
of getting a 60-gallon single-stage twin-cylinder unit from Lowe's
for $499 that claims 13.3 SCFM at 90 lb. The motor draws 17 amps at 220 v.

They describe it as "7 HP (Peak)", but I think HP ratings on compressors
are pretty meaningless.

The alternative is a Delta compressor from Sam's Club for $769.  It is 80-gallon
2-stage unit, rated at 16.9 CFM at 100 lb.  It is rated at 6.5 HP, whatever
that means.
It needs a 30-amp branch circuit.

I am planning to use it for spraying and with a blast cabinet.  Do you think
the smaller unit would be sufficient?

Thanks,

Doug Braun