RE: Compressor plumbing detail

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compressor plumbing detail
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:30:27 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

>      Can this be the sort of flex hose that Home Depot, etc. sell for
>      water heaters, etc., or do I need a specialty item?  The compressor
>      is a two-stage model, so it will have 175 PSI or so.

I've seen it recommended, but haven't tried it myself.  The ones I bought
for my water heater appear to be copper, which might work-harden from the
vibration and eventually break.

> 2:  Will ordinary ball-style valves work OK for shutoff valves
> without leaking?

Works fine for me.  Better compressors even come with them.

>      When the compressor instructions refer to a "globe valve",
> is that just
>      another term for a ball valve?

No, a globe valve is a different kind of valve, with a threaded shaft that
forces a disc against a seat.  Most (although certainly not all) water
valves are globe valves.

Randall