Re: Bottle Jack Reccommendation

To: Mark Sansouci <msansouc@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Bottle Jack Reccommendation
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:50:33 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

On 11/30/05, Mark Sansouci <msansouc@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
> http://fatchancegarage.com
>
> Everyone-
> I need to buy a 5 ton hydraulic bottle jack for my father in-law for
> Christmas.  I expect it will be frequently used in a variety of applications,
> most of which were never dreamed of by the jack designer.
>
> Anyway, the world seems to be full of the same Chinese jack at a very cheap
> price. (ala harbor freight)  How are these jacks?  Are they even worth their
> cheap price?  As somewhat of a tool snob, is there a "better" brand?  Are they
> worth it?

My experience with Chinese jacks has been the same as with other
chinese tools.  The products are good, if they're good to start with,
but the quality control sucks.  If you get one that's well assembled,
and well machined, and has the right seals in it, they'll work fine.
If you don't, well, then it probably will work once or twice.

Norco make some very nice jacks.  I don't know where they make their
bottle jacks these days, but all of the stuff I've used has been quite
nice (including the chinese made stuff.  I've been led to understand
that the hydraulic components are made in Japan.)

And if you're willing to spend the money, US Jack makes nice stuff, in
the USA.  I don't know if they've got a bottle jack that small,
though.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com