RE: Shop Refrigerator

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shop Refrigerator
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:21:11 -0500
Randall

> The problem is that the refrigerator's thermostat
> only checks the temperature in the refrigeration
> compartment, not the freezer.  If the refrigeration
> compartment is being kept at it's set point by
> outside temperatures, then the compressor will
> never run to cool it down, and the freezer will
> not be cold.

To add to the comment above, most refrigerators cool the freezer
compartment, and the cold air "leaks" to the refrigeration compartment.
The temperature is measured in the refrigeration portion of the unit, so
if it doesn't get warm enough in there, the compressor is never turned
on to blow that extra cold air into the freezer portion - over time, the
temperature evens out between the refrigerator and freezer portions of
the unit.  So, if you have the temperature set point to 40 degrees, and
the garage is at 39, the unit will never turn on, and no cooling will
get done.

Any refrigerator that I've had has had two adjustments that can be made
- usually with dials or lever in the refrigerator compartment.  One
regulates the temperature in the refrigerator compartment, and the other
controls the air flow from the freezer compartment into the refrigerator
compartment.  You probably want to lower the temperature setting to its
lowest setting, and then restrict the air flow between compartments.  If
that isn't enough to get it cycling, then (as mentioned before) the
addition of an always on light bulb in the refrigerator compartment may
be enough to raise the temperature enough to get things working.

Tim Mullen - been there, had to do that...