RE: Heat question

To: "Shop Talk" <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Heat question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:28:31 -0800
> Does it take
> more energy to raise the temp from 60 to 65 than from 45 to 50?  If no
> then why am I turning it down and if yes, why?

John, this is probably beat into the ground already, but I didn't see the
answer to your question as stated.

Assuming the outside temperature is below 60, then it will take more energy
to raise the inside temp from 60 to 65 than from 45 to 50.  Although it's
the same increase in temperature, there will be more heat lost to the
outside during that time.  But if your insulation is decent, the difference
will not be large.

But the reason (as others have said) to turn it down is because it will take
less heat to hold it at 50 than at 65.   And with outside temps at 25F, it
will always save energy overall to turn it down to 50 (or even 40) when not
using it.

Randall