Re: Ground Source Heat Pumps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ground Source Heat Pumps
From: Jim Ferguson <jferguson@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:18:43 -0500
I installed a ground water based heat pump in 1981 in my house on a lake
in western North Carolina.  At the time, it wasn't legal to get water
out of the lake without treating it before it was returned to the lake.
I did the whole instillation myself, so--no problem.  I got the heat
pump from a Heat/AC contractor that couldn't install it after he bought
it. Total cost at the time about $800 for everything.  (I was replacing
an Oil Furnace).

The EPA rules changed a couple years later to allow water based heat pumps.

I installed electric resistance backup heaters but have never hooked
them up.  In 25 years I never needed them. I do have a very good "wood
based" backup that is always ready and waiting for a match.

My experience with the heat pump has been VERY GOOD.  The only
maintenance has been to the water pump and intakes. The efficiency as
compared to a regular air-to-air heat pump was MUCH better when it was
installed and for many years thereafter. However, the regular heat pump
efficiency increased drastically in the past 20 years and now surpasses
my heat pump. I have been and am now very pleased with my heat pump. It
is running tonight as the only heat (except for Wife based hot-flashes)
in a very comfortable house. I will use it until it won't work.

You must consider the cost of running the pump to circulate the water.
My older unit's compressor efficiency and the cost of running that water
pump; does not compensate for current design heat pumps.

If my heat pump died now--(after 25yrs), I would replace it with a
modern high efficiency air to air unit.