RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:20:43 -0500
PJ McGarvey wrote:

> I have a year-old Optima red-top battery.
> <...>
> I don't even leave the security system armed,

Many security systems (especially aftermarket units) still draw a
significant amount of power even when not armed (it's setting there
running the receiver waiting for the "arm" command).

I was also of the understanding that Optima batteries take a slightly
higher voltage to charge them compared to normal batteries...

Here is the quote from the BatteryMINDer (another battery
maintainer/conditioner that I use) website:
<http://www.vdcelectronics.com/faq.htm>

Q: Can I use model 12112 (12 volt BatteryMINDer) to charge and maintain
my Optima batteries?

A:  Yes, you can use it on Optima batteries for short periods (2-3
months) at a time. If you need to maintain your Optima batteries for
longer periods, you should get the BatteryMINDer adjusted for Optima
batteries.  The Optima-adjusted BatteryMINDer floats 13.6 volts, and the
regular 12 volt BatteryMINDer floats 13 volts. Note that once your
BatteryMINDer has been adjusted to Optima batteries, you cannot use the
unit on other types of batteries.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA